Wednesday, June 17, 2009

An exercise in creative writing

From creative writing prompts. Using one of the sets below, use all the words in your chosen set to write a mini story of 300 words or less.

Set 1: paper clips, principal, lunchbox, swing, girl with a pink ribbon
Set 2: biology, class card, foreign student, leaf, blood sample
Set 3: typewriter, filing cabinet, puncher, clerk, carbon paper, janitor



I fiddled nervously with the paper clips that were on my desk. My desk. Yeah! I had a desk. I opened the bottom drawer on the left side, reassuring myself that my lunch box hadn’t walked away. I had my own desk, with my own paper clips and my own lunch box.

The shrill bell rang, knocking me back to the present. The doors to my classroom exploded inward with the force of twenty little bodies coming full speed. I couldn’t help but smile at the bundles of energy that would be in my charge for the next six hours. I breathed a quick prayer and took a deep breath. How much fun we would have!

That was 7:55am. Now it was 12:45p and although I had started out with high hopes, my day had by now devolved into a disaster film. Two children had hidden in the corner to eat paste, while I was distracted with the budding engineer who had created a swing out of a sheet from the puppet stage and a couple of yardsticks. I’d already sent a little girl to the nurse’s office. She now had a purple shiner that would compliment her pretty pink hair ribbon.
Finally, mercifully, the bell rang. The door closed behind the last angelic child and I laid my head on my desk. My ears were ringing, my body ached and I didn’t even look up when the principal walked into my office. I just raised my hand in a gesture of surrender.

I could hear him chuckle a little bit. “I’ll have to tell you about my first day sometime. Mine was a doozy too!”

2 comments:

loonyhiker said...

This was wonderful! I think the box of paper clips appealed to the teacher in us! Great story!

Tink said...

What a great story. But then I knew you would come through with something interesting.