Saturday, May 06, 2006

Weekend topic - Jokes

One of my favorite jokes:

A cathedral advertised for a bell-ringer. A gentleman came by to apply for the job. The rector takes him up the bell tower and says "Here's what you do. You push this huge bell like this, then you run out of the way. Got it?" The guy says, "Sure." So he pushes the bell, but doesn't quite make it out of the way before the bell swings back, hits him and he falls out of the tower to his death. As a crowd huddled around the body, somebody asks "Who is he?" The answer: "I don't know, but his face sure rings a bell."

The dead man's brother goes to find out what happened. He applies for the same job at the cathedral. The rector takes him up the bell tower and says "You push this huge bell, then run out of the way. Got it?" The guy says "Sure" but he doesn't quite make it. As the bell swings back, he falls out of the tower to his death. Someone in the crowd asks "Who was that?" The answer: "I don't know, but he's a dead ringer for his brother."

(((((groan))))) I know it's bad but I remember the first time I heard that joke I laughed so hard I cried. Then I tried to tell it and never got to the punchline.
I think it's true that laughter is the best medicine.

4 comments:

CompooperTeacher said...

Every time I try to tell that joke, I start to laugh so hard that I can't finish it, which makes everyone laugh even more!

Judyy said...

I'd heard the first part, but not the part about the brother--it's even funnier that way!

loonyhiker said...

AAARGH! I made my hubby listen to this and even he laffed! Great job!

Meg said...

Awful!! But hilarious!